Monday, September 20, 2010

Rob's last cycling addition

We have had our last days riding in the Pyrennes. For those thinking of accepting the challenge I can recommend a great place to stay just outside Massat " les Deux Velos " where Mark and Elma will look after you fabulously. Great friendly atmosphere, breakfasts and dinners and expert advise of the many rides.   Have conquered two more Cols (d'Agnes and Peguere). On both days the weather was stunning looking over the numerous peaks , some with a little snow showing. d'Agnes was long and reasonably challenging with a very long downward run. Richard and I enjoyed the quick descent racing each other to our lunchspot " Seix" to meet Celia. Todays col "Peguere" was unbelievably hard. I was determined not to get off my bike - I was in my bottom gear grinding up at 6kmh for over 3.5 kilometers. I will add this to my " Bucket List " as I don't think I will be repeating the experience. Cycled down to Foix for an enjoyable lunch under the Castle before heading to our last night with Di and Rob Garnett ( much appreciated).

I don't know exactly how many kilometers we have ridden but it must be near 1000km by now. I would recommend this to everyone vaguely interested in cycling but suggest you do a little training beforehand. Thanks Richard for making this all happen. Richard ours and Celia and Jills company over the duration has been awesome. Now for the next stage of our journey - I catch a train tomorrow to meet up with Jill in Monforte.
Les Deux Velos outside Massat

Top of col  (Peguere) with Mark and Bas from Les Deux Velos

From top of Peguere

Same

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rob
    Have been trying to add a message to this blog for a while but they keep getting posted back to me, meerkat. You haven't really sold the cols to me but can see they were great for you. Hope you had a good evening with Dianne and Robin and hope your dad is better.

    ReplyDelete