Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ades (Lourdes)

This will be a short entry - not the best day cycling. It was grey and tough - the water in the gutter was definitely flowing fast in the opposite direction so it was a steady incline. Rob even had to give me a push up a couple of the hills. Richard says glibly over drinks tonight that he didn't find it a hard day! And the head wind! I am sure I could think of lots of other things, like the fact that we covered over 70km on a little French breakfast and a coffee and a mars bar and a few crackers for lunch. Anyway, here we are just about in the pyrenees - we can see them and they look beautiful but I am very happy that I am heading off to Aix en Provence and won't have to   do the cols. Maybe I can hand this around as we are sitting here with our drinks waiting for them to serve dinner.

From Rob - My arse is feeling a little raw but I think the main reason today was tough is we didn't eat well last night. I had a small bottle of red wine and a packet of Lays chips , not enough to keep the engine going for 70 odd k's - Jill had no excuse as she only had a coke ( no alcohol ). However this is absolutely a must ( everyone needs to add this experience to their Bucket List ). Looking forward to the weather clearing and the Pyrenees opening in front of us.  It's amazing when you have ridden all day and the standard of accommodation is totally irrelevant. Tonights shower was just fantastic.

Now Richard - 
Seven hours to do seventy km and people are whining about the tough day. Chris and Alec need to come along next time and show them what cycle touring is all about. Lets just hope there is a next time.

3 comments:

  1. Doug - Must say your technology is tres impressive. From an iPhone - wow - they might even have a place in the world....

    As for the bucket list - the barge looks like a good alternative for me...

    Just wonderful to be able to check on y'all every morning - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is me now - I seem to not be able to post as myself but end up as Doug or Scott????? I think you are going to be very happy with the next leg of your trip Jill - I would be! Listen you lot you are in France - eating a packet of Lays is just NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! Dig up a few leeks and potatoes and make some leek soup of something for heavens sake!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great over there.. feeling rather jealous not to be along for the ride, so to speak.

    hope the good coverage is kept up as the peleton heads up into the mountains. It'll be facinating to see the heads of state coming to the front and putting the hammer down :)

    ReplyDelete