Friday, September 10, 2010

Lourdes

On railway bridge

Just on side of road

Cycling from Lourdes to Pierrenefitte


From Richard -
On second thoughts yesterdays ride wasn't so easy but Rob was ordering R200 bottles of wine at the time on top of our normal bar bill and my brain was in shock at the time. I can always tell the distance travelled by Celia's behaviour. At 70km she begins with the odd swear word, at 80km she goes on about the selfishness of people with cartilage in both knees at 90km she starts awful threats to anyone in the general vicinity if a hotel doesn't appear round the next bend. I think I can safely say that,what with the head wind and slight incline, we covered the equivalent of 100km.

From Jill -
Yes it was tough and I am pleased Richard has conceded. We had all written our words of wisdom when the internet switched itself off so now we are writing for a second time. Anyway today was perfect again. It has been warm and sunny and beautiful and we have covered a respectable 40 odd km. (last time I said 45 but I was laughed at) We had 5 km to ride form Ades to Lourdes which was along a highway with trucks flying by but we made it and organised our train trips and had coffee and pastries and then booked into a very smart hotel. Dinner has arrived so I will post this and finish later.

OK it is later now so I will set the earlier scene. We arrived in Lourdes - .. then after coffee and pastries we left our paniers at the hotel and cycled along the cycle track up the valley to Pierrenefitte  (there is more to that name but only Richard seems to know) where Richard and Rob and Celia will stay after I leave and Richard and Rob will do their cols - the Tourmalet and L'Aubisque. There has been much discussion about whether this is going to be competitive or not. Richard says not but he is just interested to see how fast Rob will go. I think Rob will be happy to enter into any little competitions that are available.  So back to our ride - we stopped for a wonderful lunch of homemade bread and ham and cheese, enjoying the stunning views of the Pyrenees and then home again - for me the last ride of this trip. Tomorrow Rob and I will spend the night with Robin and Dianne just outside Foix and then I will meet Dinny and Bode in Aix en Provence.
It is now much later but we had a lovely evening with drinks outside in the late evening sun and then a respectable dinner of pork or Confit de Canard (standard meal in these parts). And I managed my 3rd or 4th Creme Brulee - Yum.
Let's see if I can manage some photos now.

Rob relaxing


There is a fly fisherman somewhere in the distance


Hotel in Lourdes





1 comment:

  1. Hi this is Jen! Well I am very glad to see that you are eating proper French food!! The scenery looks so stunning, lots of water - or do the cycle paths just follow the water paths?? I love the old buildings and colours. Is it now a bit frustrating to be whizzing past or do you have enough time to stop and have a sticky beak? Douglas has gone off for his ride and I am trying to get up the enthusiasm for a day in the garden - I will pretend I am Rob. Rob the Dockers were SLAUGHTERED by Geelong last night so tears all round really. (Just like to keep you up to date!!) Keep up the good work!
    xx

    ReplyDelete